Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Asteria

Inspiration
Asteria was the Titan goddess of the nighttime, stars and astrology. She was responsible for the formations, and for the meanings found in them. Patron of astrologers, she could use the stars to send messages to them, prophecies and such. She was pursued by Zeus, but instead of becoming his lover like many women before her, she fled. Asteria flung herself into the sea, where she was turned into an island. Sadly, instead of finding peace, she was pursued by Poseidon, god of the seas. In order to escape him, the island moved around in the ocean, evading the god until her sister, Leto came to the island to give birth. Upon Leto's arrival, Asteria's island became anchored and unable to move. Asteria means "Starry" and even as an island she was able to send messages through the nighttime.
Intent
I chose to focus on the starry aspect of Asteria, because it's easier to portray stars than to portray astrology. When I think of stars, I think of silver and gold, and how from certain angles the stars can glow silver, or as brightly gold as the sun. I wanted to use glitter and shine in order to emulate the glowing effects of the stars.
Tools & Techniques
The tools I used, from left to right, are: Tokidoki Brilliante Glitter Liner in "Unicorno", Buxom Stay-There Eyeshadow in Chihuahua (bright silver) and Poodle (yellow-gold), and Sephora Eye Bling individual crystals. I chose the eyeliner because it's golden, and sparkles like looking at the night sky. Over that, I used my fingers to put a mix of the two Buxom Stay-There Eyeshadows. The reason I chose that type of shadow is because it's creamy in texture, easily blendable, and shines. It also doesn't allow for hard lines, so I thought it would be perfect to blend out to a soft glow, like the diffused light from a really bright star. The addition of the crystals adds a more definitive sparkle.
Outcome
 Subtract the braids. The photos aren't as good as I thought they would be, I chalk that up to the makeup simply being too reflective. All in all, I like the look, not the pictures.
 Glowy and diffused...and the little crystals show up better. I like that the silver and gold are showing up in different places.

Awkward lip shot. The lipgloss is glittery and gold (NARS "Moonfleet"). I like it, it makes my lips look fuller. It sticks with the all-around look of gold and silver glitter. Success. This is how i picture Asteria, luminous and sparkling. Did I do her justice? 

No comments:

Post a Comment